Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Vegan September

I know just a few 'vegetarians'. I'm sorry about the quotes, but one of them eats fish and chicken, but never pork, beef or lamb. Another eats fish, but no meat. Another is a total vegan..

I'l be honest, I like eating some meat, some fish and I also like vegetarian food. However, one thing I've never understood is how some people can refer to themselves as vegetarian yet still eat meat and fish.

I have more of a problem with the ethics of milk and egg production than meat production, and don't even get me started on the blinding of prawn mothers. That said, I think we (I), get removed from the reality of meat that is shrink-wrapped in plastic on the supermarket shelf, and the animal in the field, or most often the animal that is not in the field. I struggle to relate the two. I am sure though that I would find it too squeamish to be able to slaughter or prepare my own meat. If that is the case, how can I take it from the supermarket shelf and cook and eat it ?

I've been thinking about vegetarianism and veganism more and more and of one thing I am sure, and that is, for me it's an all or nothing choice. I may be wrong, and I may look back in months or years to come and think I will eat chicken and fish, and no other animal. I have also become squeamish about animal bones and animal fat lately which reinforces my feelings towards meat...

I have therefore decided to go vegan for September, BB thought I should start with a gentler option, and I do understand that, but I do feel the need to go 'cold turkey' (pardon the pun.). I will be eating no meat, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, gelatine, honey or any other animal derived product.

I went shopping today, and I was most surprised to see just how animal-based a lot of products are. Although, I did manage to buy plenty of food that  was suitable for vegans.

Wish me luck, I will report back on how it goes !!!

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about going vegan as well but I love eggs :( And I quite like bacon :| Any other meat I could do without... dairy I don't do, honey I don't do as I don't do sugar. Soy I need to stay away from as my hormones are already messed up... Yikes. With all the running and Crossfit I do I don't think I could actually live without eggs or bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MrsB, Thank you SO much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It sounds like you are quite focussed on your diet, but I totally need to know how you manage to not do sugar? For me, that would be totally impossible... Eggs? I can definitely leave them, unless they're in a cake, with, guess what, lots of sugar !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment !