Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chocolate Brownies

Cupcake and I are still on the chocolate theme and wanted to make some simple brownies. I had no 'extras' to add, cupcake doesn't like nuts (walnuts are always a nice addition), so plain brownies it was... Can a brownie ever be plain ?



We found a recipe in our book called 'Chocolate' under the 'Practical cooking' label and published by Paragon. As usual the recipe was modified to suit what we like or had in the cupboard ...

Ingredients

150gr dark chocolate, roughly chopped
225gr butter (softened) - I used PURE soy margarine (as usuall...)
225gr Self-raising flour
125gr caster sugar (I used unrefined caster sugar)
4 eggs, beaten
75gr pistachio nuts (I left this out)
100gr white chocolate, roughly chopped (I left this out)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 deg or gas mark 4.
1. I lined a brownie tin with baking paper - I love this stuff, it takes all the hassle out of greasing and lining.
2. Melt the dark chocolate and butter in a bowl set over hot water. I must admit I just melted it directly into the saucepan on a low heat..
3. Sieve the flour into a separate mixing bowl and add the caster sugar.
4. Stir the eggs into the melted chocolate (make sure the butter/chocolate isn't too hot, or you'll end up with chocolate scrambled eggs - Eurgh !)
5. Pour the chocolate and eggs into the flour and sugar, mixing well.
6.Add the pistachios and white chocolate, if using.
7. Pour the mix into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin, and then turn onto a wire rack to cool, before cutting it into 12 (or however many..) pieces.



I'll bet you don't end up with 12 brownies in your cake tin and that one/two/three escaped... you have to test the baked goods right ?? This is how they turned out. Yum !

2 comments:

  1. The scary post on t-11 how not to train is back :) Hopefully this update isnt as scary for you :)

    mmm chocolate brownies sure would go well for a post work out snack !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite agree Patrick ! A nice, carb-rich sugar boost to replenish those energy stores ! Good luck with the marathon training.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment !